Re: [OM] Article on Olympus 35RC

Subject: Re: [OM] Article on Olympus 35RC
From: Gene Mayeda <gmayeda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 08:42:19 -0600
I've made internegatives on a Bowens Illumitran 3c.I used Kodacolor
100.The lens is a Bogan 60mm F/4 wideangle enlarging lens.(Not a great
lens but you need the subject to lens distance it provides to use the
contrast control unit.)The CCU is a second electronic flash that kicks
light into a thin piece of glass set (between the original slide/neg.)
at 45 degrees.The prints cost the same as standard processing because
that is what the film got.Every slide needed flashing for contrast
control.Experimentation gave me the correct exposure and contrast
control settings.You can flash your internegs or slides with a double
exposure (Your bellows and slide copier.)Quality is fair.the prints are
not as sharp and contrast is better handled by shooting negative film
for your originals instead of slides.The OM finder will not give you
100% viewing and so it crops about 3% with an OM-1 this is not
neccessarily a bad thing,just be aware of it.What I don't understand
about Stephen Chung's advice is that he says he is using tungsten film
w/o filtration yet he is using strobe.This seems to be a recipe for poor
color.One bonus of making your own slide dupes or internegs is that you
can crop the original.If you have a Zuiko macro lens already then you
have every thing you might need to make internegatives.Just don't expect
incredible results.This is a cheap way to make multiple prints from
slides,but I don't recommend it as a standard way to make prints.BTW you
can make slides from negs with Kodak Vericolor Slide Film 5072.I have
never used it before and it is a C-41 film.It does not have the orange
mask of most color negative films.I do not know if this film is still
available or not.
-Gene