RE: [OM] IS-3DLX -- Day One

Subject: RE: [OM] IS-3DLX -- Day One
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 22:23:33 +0100
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Ken Norton <kenorton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Till: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: den 19 februari 1998 17:39
Ämne: RE: [OM] IS-3DLX -- Day One

>>... Spot function should have duplicated the one on OM-2S with continously
>measuring in manual instead of a single fixed reading. There is no
>indication for power focus. Tell us what you think about this.
>
>Same as the IS-1.  I eventually got used to it.  There actually is a power
>focus indicator on back, and I have to double check again to see if there
>is one inside.

Ken, I can tell you there is no indication in the viewfinder. It has fouled me
more than once when I accidently engaged the power focus. Perhaps I must learn
to read the LCD display at the back better.

I discovered another peculiar thing last summer when I was shooting (no, not
with a gun) the bears in the zoo where I work. When the flash is up there is no
way you can engage the spot meter. At first I thought it was a malfunction, but
after having checked in the manual I realized that it was not. There is a small
note which says: "When the flash is flipped up, or the Night Scene mode is
engaged, the camera does not perform spot metering." Why is that?

A tip when autofocus has a hard time locking on a subject is to hold the camera
vertically to obtain a focus lock, and then while depressing the shutter
release button halfway switch back to horizontal. But this you probably already
know from your IS-1 days Ken? There are quite a few times when I have had to
use this, even when there were no obvious reason why a focus lock should be
difficult in horizontal. The AF on IS-3 also seems to have a hard time focusing
on small objects like birds and aircrafts when the sky is used as a background.
There seems to be no other solution to this problem than to engage the power
focus. In a situation where there is very little time you do not want to take
your eyes from the viewfinder and check the LCD display at the back if it has
been engaged. By the time you have raised the camera again the birds or the
planes are most probably gone. Of course one can have the power focus engaged
from the beginning, but when AF is working fine on ground level objects who
thinks of that?

This was a few problems that I have had with this camera, but usually it works
just fine. With the G-40 optional flash there is all the flash power one can
possibly need.

/Per Nordenberg
Zoo keeper at Kolmårdens Zoo
Sweden