Re: [OM] A Calling to fellow Olympus enthusiasts

Subject: Re: [OM] A Calling to fellow Olympus enthusiasts
From: Chuck Skinner <cinema@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 02:05:37 -0500
At 11:27 AM 2/21/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Fellow Olympus enthusiasts, when I received Chuck's e-mail yesterday, I
>had much mixed emotions like (1) gee, this is an opportunity for me to
>get some real bargains; (2) may be he has some items that I can use, and
>I can help him in some/this way, (2) the little boy inside me said *he
>is hurting inside because in addition to the family's medical
>difficulty, he has to part with his favorite toys (the little boy inside
>him that is)* ......
>
>I have been reading Chuck's e-mails on this Net for quite some time now;
>and he has been helpful in many ways.  As such, a thought came to my
>mind and I like to bounce with all of you.  IF...if everyone of us would
>chip in $5, $10, $20 each, the collected amount could/would total up to
>that he is asking for - about $2800; then, he would NOT need to part
>with his treasured collection. Yes, dealing with family's medical
>problem is already painful enough.....
>
>If you like this idea, I would be willing to be the collection point so
>that he can receive a sizeable amount when collected, and not in
>piecemeal fashion.  If interested, you can send a check (payable to
>Chuck Skinner, and no cash please) to my address of whatever amount you
>feel inclined; please feel free to include any personal note of
>comfort/support as you wish. I'll gather up the mails and send them to
>Chuck in one big bundle.
>
>My mailing address: 2686 Yerba Cliff Ct., San Jose, CA 95121; and please
>put a small annotation at the lower left corner of your envelope like
>*for Chuck*.  I welcome your comment/suggestion.
>
>***********************

George (and all),

   I am deeply moved by your willingness to do this, but I really can't
accept. I guess I need to explain the situation a bit: my girlfriend (soon
to be wife) has a number of skin carcinomas which need to be removed as
soon as possible. She works for a temp service, thus no insurance.

   Not wanting to delay proceeding with this, I decided that one thing that
I could part with was my Olympus gear. I have a N*k*n and a Bronica that I
use for work, so I really won't be without a camera .

   It wasn't an easy decision, but to be perfectly honest, the idea of
starting to build a system again from scratch in a few months rather
appeals to me. Finding stuff in auctions and pawn shops and little camera
stores is almost as much fun as actually using it.

   While the money will be tight for a while, we really won't be hurting,
and in a few months when my springtime freelance business picks up, all
should be back to normal. I will not disappear from this list.

   Again, although I truly appreciate the desire of people on this list to
help, I really wouldn't feel right accepting donations. If someone would
like to help, say a prayer, or send some positive kharma my may, or whatever.

   Thank you all again.

           Chuck Skinner
  Cinematographer/Lighting Director
          mailto:cinema@xxxxxxx