Re: [OM] Lenses as supplementaries (reversed 50 on 200)

Subject: Re: [OM] Lenses as supplementaries (reversed 50 on 200)
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 14:34:33 GMT
On Sun, 22 Feb 1998 10:48:31 +0000, "Ian M. Stewart"
<ims@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

snip..snip...

>There's another shop I can try, and I can always try other towns in my area
>for some different businesses.  Hegarty's in Southport should be worth a
>try as I've never actually been there yet and I had them recommended by
>Frank van Lindert when he helped me out with the tiny screw for my lens.
>
>It seems that this is another little lost art in our dying hobby. :-(
>
>Ian  <IMS>

Let me jump in her, Ian.
Hagarty's is a used-only shop with lots of junk. Phone them first!
They do have a (ill-maintained) website:
http://www.pabrown.demon.co.uk/arena/hagerty/hagcat.htm
which at least will have their phone number somewhere.

I would always have guessed that Jessops would have these rings in
stock. did you phone them?
Here in Holland the well assorted major camera shops do have the
coupling rings in stock, and in metal indeed. I strongly recommend to
buy only metal here. When you have the reversed lens hanging on 1.5-2
mm of plastic thread, you don't feel safe, I assure you. Maybe the
plastic will cost 3 quid instead of 4 or 5 for metal, but the loss of
a fallen-off lens would be worse for your wallet.
If you can't find one in your neighbourhood, I will be happy to buy
one here and send it to you like with the screw. Only this time I
would ask you to reimburse me for it.

If you only want to try a setup like this, buy two used rubber
sunhades (1 quid together, I guess, maybe less if the rubber is worn).
Discard the rubber and glue the left over rings together. Maybe you
need to shorten them a bit.
You can tape one of the rubbers to the mount ring of the reversed
lens. It will serve as a shade, of course, but also provide a little
protection there...

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht
Netherlands.