RE: [OM] A Calling to fellow Olympus enthusiasts

Subject: RE: [OM] A Calling to fellow Olympus enthusiasts
From: "Dr. Matthew J. Cordery" <cordery1@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 17:13:04 -0800
While living in Australia (the land of high skin cancer rates) I thought
they had done studies that argued that it wasn't simply exposure, but a
combination of exposure and age. That is, skin cancer is more likely to
occur because of
a lot of exposure to the sun when one is a child. It is only later that skin
cancer then manifests itself. By this argument, skin cancer is less likely
to occur because of greater exposure when one is older. Certainly, I get a
lot of exposure (climbing/hiking/etc) and I have blond hair and blue eyes
so I am definitely in a high risk group. However, I also spent most of my
young years growing up in Alaska.... Not exactly sunburn city. I may be
wrong about this but it would be
interesting to know if someone has a reference to the studies so that we can
get some relevant statistics. I've noticed that the media has a tendency to
take a minor statistical variation and make it sound like an impending
holocaust...
Anyone out there closer to the data? Does anyone know if this was reported
in a current scientific journal?

>>Doug wrote:
>>
>>I am sad to hear your girlfriend has developed this condition so common to
>>climates like ours. While it has little OM content, recent research on this
>>subject is important to photographers that tend to be outdoors a lot. It now
>>appears sunblock does not help prevent skin carcinomas. It is a matter of
>>genetics and exposure to sun with or without sunblock or sunburn. Blondes
>>and redheads with light eyes and many moles are the highest risk group.
>>Persons of high risk should keep the sun off their skin whether or not they
>>use sunblock. This is important to me as I am in the middle risk wise, but I
>>have spent many hours outdoors in the Texas sun.
>>
>>Good luck,
>>Doug
>

>>Likewise, good luck to Chuck and his partner. A very kind offer from George
>>also - obviously some very generous and high-quality people on this list!
>>
>>Being a red-haired, outdoor-photography person, it's a topic that worries me
>>also!
>>
>>Cheers
>>Robert Ashdown
>>
>>(and, I recently left my favourite hat on a train..aarrrgghhh! If anyone
>>finds a battered Akubra with a Brahminy Kite feather in it, please send it
>>home!)

>| For questions mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>| Web Page: http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/olympuslist.html

Dr. Matthew J. Cordery                     cordery1@xxxxxxxx
Environmental Computer Applications Div.   (510) 423-6858
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
L206
P.O. Box 808
Livermore, CA 94550

A bad day in the mountains is better than a good day at work.