Re: [OM] OM2/OM4 question: fill flash

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2/OM4 question: fill flash
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 08:02:56 -0700
At 08:29 PM 2/23/98 -0800, you wrote:

[snip]

>Canon, Nikon, Minolta and Pentax all offer exposure and flash
>systems that will accomplish all of the above automatically. They can do it
>because they use a little thing called matrix metering. Even switching an
>OM-2 or OM-4 to Auto will not accomplish this, since Olympus uses average
>metering for TTL. You will have no way to control the foreground to
>background ratio. I am extremely sad to say that only manual control can
>accomplish this in the OM series cameras. We Oly users can only dream of an
>OM-5 which will incorporate these very desirable features.

My *only* complaint with Olympus has been the inability to do relatively
effortless, automatic fill-flash at ratios of 1:1, 1:2, 1:3 or 1:4.  In
general, I'm an available-light photographer, so normally the complaint
remains buried in my psyche.  I've been able to "fake" flash-fill with some
tomfoolery, but the effect is spotty (some times it works, some times it
doesn't).  I'd pay real money for an OM-5/flash combo that automated
flash-fill.  I'm talking *real* money (the $1000+ U.S. price tag that many
Oly users seem to shy away from).

But I'll probably have to expand my list of camera possessions to include
non-Oly stuff that does this.  I don't think Olympus will ever re-design
the OM line sufficiently to deal with this issue.  They're too busy rolling
out digital cameras, which IMHO, will remain inferior for the foreseeable
future to the pairing of silver processes and high-quality desktop scanning.

Garth Wood