RE: [OM] Macro coupling rings and T32 flashes

Subject: RE: [OM] Macro coupling rings and T32 flashes
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 22:00:35 -0700
At 06:54 PM 2/25/98 -0500, Stephen Chung (D&B Telecom)
<ChungS@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

>Can you describe the T32 zoom adaptor (what does it look like, zoom
>range, etc) I recently enquired about that accessory here in Australia
>and found it cost $80US new ouch!

I'll certainly give it the old college try.

The adapter is an all-plastic, lightweight beastie.  It consists of an
outer sleeve with a diffuser on the "business end" (the piece that points
towards the subject) and an inner sleeve that telescopes into and out of
the outer sleeve (with stops at either end of its range).  The inner sleeve
has a clear plastic window at the camera end with beveled edges.  To attach
it to a T32, you have to do the following:

1. extend the inner sleeve all the way "up" (in the direction of the camera
end, i.e., away from the "business end");

2. flip the moveable head of the T32 90 degrees upwards; and

3. slip the beveled edges of the clear plastic window into their
counterparts on the T32 flash head.

Once it clicks in place, you can then swing the T32 head back into
horizontal orientation (or leave it in any position) and then push or pull
on the outer sleeve to change its depth in relation to the inner sleeve,
which in turn changes the "focus" of the diffuser head from a "normal"
angle of a 50mm lens to a narrow angle of a 135mm lens (each position is
marked in a small window on either side of the adapter).  Took me a few
moments to puzzle out how to do this -- in any position except
fully-extended, the clear plastic window doesn't completely clear the outer
sleeve, so you can't put it on the flash.  (I gently tried "snapping" it
into place, which was an obvious non-starter.)

>I also recently bought a power bounce grip 2 for my T32 and immediately
>found that with one hand on the grip and the other hand focussing the
>lens, I didn't have any hands left to fire the shutter!  I noticed the
>socket and trigger button for the M. grip cord on the bounce grip handle
>and I was wondering if it was possible to connect this to the socket on
>a Winder 1or 2 to trigger the shutter.

That's precisely what it's for.  It's a slick little system when it's all
operating together, but you're right, it would be very impractical to
manually wind and fire the camera with a bounce grip 2 attached in the
normal orientation (gripping it with your right hand; see below).

You'll find that you can use the Bounce Grip 2 in either orientation (the
swivel head pivots more than 180 degrees), so it's possible to reverse the
handle to the left side of the camera, grip the Bounce Grip 2 with your
*left* hand, and then advance, focus and shoot with your right.  It's a bit
awkward at first, but I thought it was cute.  In this orientation, of
course, there's no need for the Winder 2 or Motor Drive.

>One final thing using the bounce grip 2 on a winder equipped OM body
>brings the flash slightly closer to the lens, I wonder if this could
>lead to red eye problems when using the zoom adaptor.

Last time I owned such a beastie, I didn't notice any problems, but I'm
sure it's possible.  I'll let you know after I take some photos of my wife.
 :-)

Garth