[OM] Macro coupling rings and T32 flashes

Subject: [OM] Macro coupling rings and T32 flashes
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:25:16 -0500
>Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:34:25 -0700
>From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: >
>At 09:03 AM 25/02/98 -0500, Tomoko Yamamoto wrote:
>>
>>I had said in my earlier post that the macro coupling ring I bought was
>>plastic.  I would like to correct that statement.
>>
>>I have just tested the ring to see if it floats on the water or not.  It
>>sank right in.  Apparently the paint job was not too good and I can see a
>>couple of  tiny spots where paint has been peeled off, which looks silvery.
>> This ring must be made of some die-cast aluminum alloy, and it is very
>>light, but it does not appear to be plastic.
>

>If there's paint on it (worse, if it's *peeling*), I wouldn't recommend
>glueing two rings together; the paint could give way without warning --
>kiss your front-mounted lens goodbye, at worst.  I'd sand the surfaces that
>are to be glued until the paint's removed, and then make them as smooth as
>possible (contrary to popular belief, smooth surfaces provide a better bond
>for most glues than do rough surfaces).
>
>Using tape would obviate the need for sanding etc., but as others have
>already pointed out, the strength of this solution is likely inferior to
>glueing.

Although I thought that paint had come off from these tiny spots (pinhole
in size, less than a millimeter in diameter), I don't see any danger of
more paint coming off.  I think these spots must have existed when I
purchased the ring which is only a week ago and that these spots are
paint-free spots probably resulting from a poor manufacturing practice and
poor quality control.

I should also point out that there seems to be a confusion between the
macro coupling ring I have and a make-shift coupling ring made from two
step-up rings joined together.  The macro coupling ring I have is one
piece, there is no need to glue or tape rings, which is why I have
purchased the macro coupling ring in the first place.  I would not want any
accident happening to my front lens.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
-All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130
-Olympus Equipment Classifieds-