RE: [OM] Re: T32 Tele-Zoom adapter, red eye

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: T32 Tele-Zoom adapter, red eye
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 00:43:03 +0100
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx <VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx>
Till: - (052)olympus(a)Zuiko.sls.bc.ca <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: den 26 februari 1998 13:38
Ämne: [OM] Re: T32 Tele-Zoom adapter, red eye

>Yes when you point a flash with a GN of 42 at close distance to
>someone's eyes, there certainly is a danger of red eyes, although it
>may not be visible on the picture...
>
>Here's a little trick when you're still afraid of red eyes when the
>T32/grip/winder combi.
>Get the Olympus flash extender. It's out of production, so look
>secondhand. This handy little lightweighted accessory is designed to be
>attached to the camera's hot shoe, raising a T20 or T32 about 8 cm.,
>eliminating all red eyes. But it also comes with a hidden feature: at
>the same spot where the T32 has its external power connector, the flash
>extender has a rubber plug. When you remove it, the extender can be
>fitted in the power bounce grip, raising, even with the winder
>attached, the flash higher than a T45 or Metz hammer flash. You
>obviously loose the additional power supply from the grip.

This is the first info I have seen about this flash extender since I joined
this list a couple of years ago, and very interesting info to. Although I´ve
never seen one I have often thought of it as a cheaper and lighter alternative
to PBG2 to reduce red-eye.

Are you sure that it is designed to take the extra topweight of the T32? On the
OM flashphoto group chart in my OM-2SP broschure dated 2/85 there is only a
line connecting the flash extender and the T20 flash. T32 is only "connected"
to Power Bounce Grip 2. In another broschure covering the whole OM system and
dated 9/88 the extender is indeed "connected" to every flash on the chart
(F280, T18, T32 and T20).

I think using the T32 (or the F280!) on the extender would be asking very much
of the hot shoe mount on top of the body. Even mounting a T32 directly in the
hot shoe mount with fully extended zoom adapter does make you uncomfortable for
the welfare of the mount. Interesting that the extender fits on the PBG as well
(nothing on the charts about this possibility).

Per Nordenberg