Re: [OM] A question about bulk loading film & MLU

Subject: Re: [OM] A question about bulk loading film & MLU
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 22:55:24 +0100
Dr. Matthew J. Cordery wrote:

> A two-parter! Yes!
>
> (1) Anyone have experience doing bulk loading? I havea bulk loader but no
> darkroom access (yet...hopehopepraypray). Anyone out there do this on a
> regular basis with a changing bag or some sort of beast? Problems (light,
> dust)?

I use bulk loading for b&w film. The main concern is to keep everything free
of dust, as usual. Particularly you can get scratches on the film if there
is hard dust particles on the fuzzy lips of the casettes. Use a blower to clean
the inside of the casettes.
Inserting film into the bulk loader should be possible in a changing bag,
but I must admit that I use my darkroom.

> (2) Currently, I am contemplating getting a new camera body. I'd like to know
> if anyone has done any testing to see how important a mirror lock-up is on
> the OM line. Is the lack of it terribly noticeable when you blow up a
> negative?
> Any help greatly appreciated.

IMHO mirror lock is not important. The OM mirror mechanism is quite well
controlled. Granted, I rarely enter the realm of super tele and micro
photography, where mirror lock may affect picture quality.

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"