Re: [OM] OM-Nature

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-Nature
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 12:16:46 -0500
Lynn wrote:

>Hello everyone.
>First time posting to this list, but boy am I ever happy that I found
>it!
>I've read some of the archives and caught up on some interesting
>discussions. First, briefly about my OM experience and then a couple of
>questions. Been an OM-1 owner since 1975 (that makes me a newbie,
>right?) Right now have three OM-1 bodies, one winder, 24, 50, 100, 135
>Zuiko lenses, a 300 Vivitar (old and not very sharp anymore, I'm
afraid)
> and a Vivitar 75-205 f3.5-4.5 macro zoom that I picked up used in
>excellent shape for about $100 (U.S.)
>First, anybody got opinions on the Viv zoom (i.e. sharpness, etc)? I
>like it but haven't yet used it for any critical work, mostly just fun
>pics of my kids.
>Second question. I would like suggestions please on OM lenses for
nature
> and wildlife photography. I'm about to buy a bellows for closeup work
>of flowers and would like hints on which lens(es) would work best. Also
>I'd like some opinions on really long lenses for bird photos. I've
>never used really long Zuikos (anything 300mm or over) and would like
>to know if they are worth the cost. Any ideas on non-Zuiko long lenses?

Tele:
Sounds like you need a 'new' 300 mm; the Zuiko would be an excellent
choice. Also try to get the Zuiko 1.4xA teleconverter; this will give
you an additional 420 mm with the same speed as the Zuiko 400 mm and
comparable quality, but for far less money. Maybe also the 2xA
teleconverter. This will still give a reasonable quality, slow speed
(F9) 600 mm, but the 600 mm Zuiko is probably far out of reach.
Another, more cost effective, option might be a 500 mm non-Zuiko reflex
lens, like a Tokina. Less speed, less quality, less money, more mm.

Macro:
Unless you're going 'inside' the flowers you don't need a bellows; the
50 mm/F3.5 macro already brings you half-lifesize (1:2) magnification.
In the lifesize (1:1) area, the 80mm macro combined with bellows
performs best. When you want to shoot the interior of the flowers the
38mm macro head + bellows will give you up to 6:1 ratios. Beyond that
there's the 20 mm macro head that provides up to 12:1. For outdoor
shots of insects the 135 mm macro combined with the macro tube is most
practical (more portable, allows longer distances).

Hans.