[OM] Price increases

Subject: [OM] Price increases
From: "A J Royle" <jroyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 21:58:43 -0000
Cc: "Arthur John Royle" <jroyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
So, our buddies in the US are to be paying 20% more for their OLY gear! (PvT
6/3/98). But if Denton is right with his $1200 as the new price that is still
only the same in dollars as our list price in £sterling in the good old rip-off
UK! $1200 is about £UK730!!!

What are Olympus playing at? I think is was about 4 years ago that I decided to
supplement my 1979 OM1n with a new camera body and seriously considered an
OM4Ti. It was £495ish at the time from Jessops. In the event I made the mistake
of buying a secondhand OM2SP instead. Within months, realising my mistake with
teh OM2SP I looked again at the OM4Ti; it had nearly doubled in price!! Did
anyone buy them? I rationalised it all by imagining that Olympus were so busy
making their compacts and space-age shaped new SLRs that the OM4Ti was being
assembled by a few old-timers in a garden shed and had sales of one or two a
year!

In the end there is no logic or reason to pricing, you just pitch at what
people will pay, so we are all clearly  completely out-of-date

John Royle