[OM] Bulk loading and A&I continued

Subject: [OM] Bulk loading and A&I continued
From: "Thomas H. Hogan" <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 1998 08:03:26 -0800
Since you seemed interested in my story of exceeding 36 exposures
and being "called on the carpet" at A & I, I'll finish it.

I had wound more than 36 on a cartridge.  The reason that A&I put
a note for me to come in and talk to them before they would accept
any more bulk loaded cartridges from me was this:

A&I uses a "dip & dunk" developing process and they process a very
large number of films at once.  If one film is too long it will
get caught and interrupt the whole process.  A technician will have
to go inside the machine and find the film that caused the problem.

When this was being explained to me another photographer who was there
and who also used bulk 35mm slide film told me that this was the reason
that she never wound more than 34 exposures on a cartridge.

When I would go to A&I to hand deliver my film, I'd ask politely and
the clerk would find a couple of good used cartridges to give to me.

Some of the pro's who used bulk film did not use their cartridges more
than once so there would sometimes be a few sitting around.

I really enjoyed waiting in line inside A&I.  You never knew what to
expect -- it is in Hollywood, some of those photographers seemed to
be wearing costumes!  Once a photographer came in dressed like
Raiders of the Lost Ark!

PS -- Sometimes you'll find a cartridge and spool that really work
      well together with the motordrive -- that is what I used to take
      the series in the whale fluking GIF at the bottom of my whale
      page http://www.netcom.com/~flzhgn/whale.htm
      Thanks to Frank van Lindert, John Hermanson and others from this
      list who helped me get my OM motordrive battery working again.

--
Hank Hogan --

BTW,  I'm looking for a job as a biological science research
    technician.  If you know of anyone who might need a technician
    with my skills (see resume on my home page) please let me know.
--
Thomas ?Hank? Hogan
Biologist, Photographer, Web Designer