Re: [OM] OLY PRICE INCREASES!

Subject: Re: [OM] OLY PRICE INCREASES!
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 16:40:14 +0000
In article , PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx> writes
>Hi John:
>
><< This time I just want to take pictures using some great gear, hopefully
>Olympus. Thanks for providing some food for thought. >>
>
>Thanks for the kind words.  I refuse to treat equipment like it is fine china.
>It's a picture taking instrument and if it gets too worn in use to have a
>great resale value, then that's "use depreciation."  But now that use
>depreciation with OLY equipment will really seem steep.  Maybe too steep to
>actually use the stuff in the field as a biologist!  I may have to consider
>myself too poor to even use an OLY.  My worst fears are finding that something
>needs repair.  Those costs will kill you.

The solution to this problem is quite simple Gary - wait until the proce
increase has worked its way through to the used market and sell sell
sell - before it dies and needs a repair.

It seems like most people are looking at the negative side of this
topic.  I don't like the prospect of a US price increase working its way
across the Atlantic to the UK market, as it is bound to do quite soon,
but there is a positive aspect to this too.

It is clear that Olympus are attempting to price the OM system out of
the market completely, and have almost achieved that already.  Quite
soon there will be zero support for the system and it will only be of
value to collectors, rather than users.  Regrettably, most Olympus users
will HAVE to switch to alternative systems from Canon and Nikon.
Fortunately, having Olympus hike up the price of new equipment during
the system's dying years means that for some time the used value of your
Olympus system will buy a lot more Canon and Nikon parts when you HAVE
to make that transition.

As always, the trick is to get the timing just right and combine maximum
value from the used OM units with minimum cost of the new Canon/Nikon
stuff before the price on used Olympus units drop due to decreased
demand - probably soon after Olympus officially kill the OM system off.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)