Re[6]: [OM] OLY PRICE INCREASES!

Subject: Re[6]: [OM] OLY PRICE INCREASES!
From: "Bruce Appelbaum" <Bruce_Appelbaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 10:45 -0500

Only Olympus knows for sure why they are increasing the prices.  Speculation has
been that the increases are due to East Asia currency fluctuations, due to Oly
wanting to phase out production by reducing demand by raising prices, and due to
their adjustment of prices to reflect actual cost of production.  Take your
pick!  My sense is that high European prices reflect duties and sales taxes.  US
duty on imported camera equipment is very low (on the order of 3 percent I
believe) and we don't have any national sales taxes (VAT, GST, etc.).  We do
have local sales taxes that can add up to about 8 - 10 percent to the sale
price.  I believe that this is still lower than VAT in Europe.