RE: [OM] OTF in IS-3?

Subject: RE: [OM] OTF in IS-3?
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 00:36:26 +0100
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Ken Norton <kenorton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Till: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: den 9 mars 1998 16:55
Ämne: RE: [OM] OTF in IS-3?

>First of all, the built in flash tubes are variable
>power and not just switching between thte two tubes.

Obviously there are somewhat different views on how the built-in flash system
works. Well, we seem to have agreed that there´s no OTF flash that´s for sure,
but are the separate flash tubes fired with variable power or not? I´m puzzled
but I must admit that I really can´t see why the output couldn´t be variable.
In the description of IS-200 at Olympus Japan´s website
(http://www.olympus.co.jp/LineUp/Camera/is200E.html ) however I found something
that supports Ken´s statement:

-quote-
"To make sure that flash photographs come out right, the IS-200's Intelligent
Variable-Power Flash system checks the distance to the subject and
automatically sets the appropriate flash intensity and aperture setting."
-unquote-

I do believe IS-20(0) have the same Intelligent Variable-Power Flash system as
IS-3.

>When the G40 is "on-line" the camera will recognize it's existance and will
>automatically downgrade the camera's flash 3 stops.  Just the existance of
>the G40 means nothing, it has to be charged and ready (not in sleep mode).
>
>When using the G40 in bounce mode, well, things get a bit fuzzier here and
>I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is happening, but here is what
>I think is happening:  The camera's flash fires according to the distance
>established by the focus circuitry. The G40 uses a built-in sensor just
>like the ones in your generic auto-thyrister flashes to determine proper
>exposure.
>
>Kinda scary:  Too many variables.
>
>Ken Norton

What does the G40 manual has to say about the bounce mode then? Well it says:

-quote-
"The flash mode will automatically change from IVP to normal auto in bounce
flash photography."
-unquote-

On the front of the flash (in the AF illuminator) there is a detector for
normal auto flash, which obviously works in the same way as the light detector
in the "O" of T32. Since neither of flashes will fire if the shutter speed is
faster than 1/100 sec, it´s quite possible that it works as you say. A test
flash is recommended though to check the proper flash emission.

Per Nordenberg