Re: [OM] OM for travel (film ? only)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM for travel (film ? only)
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 16:40:55 +0100
Gary (loves Agfachrome RSX 50) Reese from Vegas wrote:

>Hi Ulf:
>
>Now that you are back, I'll re-ask about your film line-up of:
>Fuji Velvia, Provia, Sensia2
>
>Any conclusion on what you like best?  What is best for what subjects?
>
>Pardon my asking again.  Ignore if you wish.  I'm trying to determine my
>favorites, so I thought I'd get some input.

I unintentionally deleted your mail and then sort of forgot about it!

Film is a vry personal choice, so don't take anything I'm saying here as
truths. There are none. Opinions are just that, opinions. Anyway, these are
mine:

My favourite for landscapes, especially deserts, rocks, sand, is and has for
long been "Disneychrome" = Fuji Velvia. I just can't imagine your homeareas
as Zabriskie Point in Death Valley or Grand Canyon in anything else than
Velvia. And for overcast and rainy conditions, I think nothing comes close,
though in this case IMO it benefits from a 81A or 81B warming filter. White,
caucasian skin turns very pink/reddish on Velvia, far to much for me.

I use Provia 100 primarily for birds and wildlife where the extra stop is
needed. Blue skies are a little bit more neutral, the pinkish tone is not at
all as prominent. I think it can be successfully used for all types of
photography, but thats only my opinion. If I was to choose only one film to
do all kinds of subjects and applications, it would be Provia100.

I did use Sensia 100 (old non-2) a lot, partly because it resembled Provia
very much, though somewhat cooler, probably due to lack of proper
storing/aging, partly because it was much cheaper, being an amateur film.
Now Fuji have launched Astia, a colder and more neutral pro 100 ISO film,
apparently for those who thought that Provia 100 still had to much magenta.
I've never tried Astia, but it appears that Sensia2 is based upon Astia,
I've even got this confirmed by Fuji itself.
Sensia2 is indeed cooler than it's predecessor, though differences are small
and may not be noticed at all. The main reason I went for Sensia2 instead of
Astia was 1) I had never tried it and 2)  I needed a film with more exposure
latitud for the XA, as this camera is automatic only and harder to fine-tune
the exposure than on a OM-camera. (Professional films require an exposure
more right on target than amateur ones). As it turned out, I didn't use the
XA very much and shot all of Jerusalem with Sensia2, and results are very
good.

Again, what strikes me after this trip is the tone of my birding piccies
from the desert, with stunning colours and sharpness.  All done with
Provia100. It's really on it's way to replace Velvia as my favourite film!

Cheers
Ulf Westerberg