Re: [OM] To MC or not to MC - don't panic!

Subject: Re: [OM] To MC or not to MC - don't panic!
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 07:51:46 +8
Ken

I take your point, however -

Panic not. A Yellow reflection does not necessarily mean SC.  The
major determining factor IMO, and that of someone else whose post I
can't find for some reason, is the presence - or lack - of a green
coloured reflection.

If you have a green reflection present you definitely have MC.  If
you have a strong predominant yellow reflection and no green, then in
all probability you have an SC on your hands.  The one exception to
this is the 300mm f4.5. This has a predominant browny gold
reflection, and I thought for some time, no green.  This puzzled me
for some time as the date code (white letters on matt black area near
rear element) on my example indicated it was made after MC was
introduced (courtesy of Frank VL's useful little table of dates of
when MC was introduced for various lenses).  The other day I noticed
that a weak green reflection is visible in sunlight so the rule seems
to apply even for this lens.

Giles

PS  Just found that corroborating post in my collection of digests
from when I had the list - here is the relevant snip.

 But there are a fair number of companies who make it difficult to
tell.  for instance, when Olympus first came out with multicoating,
they used the designation Zuiko MC for the multicoated lenses.
However, at some point all Zuiko lenses were multicoated (by around
1983 or 1984) and so the MC was dropped, and all lenses sold by
Olympus today are multicoated, but marked only Zuiko.

So, if you take a lens like the 28/2 Zuiko that originally was brought
to market in the 70's and was single-coated back then, it is by no
means obvious how to look at the lens and tell if it is single or
multicoated unless it was one produced in the 3-5 year period when
Zuiko MC was used as a designation.

however, if you know what to look for, you can tell.  if you hold the
lens under a specular light source, a light fixture is fine,
fluorescent works best but isn't required, you will see a series of
reflections of the light fixture that appear to be inside the lens. a
single-coated lens will have all purple, all amber, or a combination
of purple and amber for all the reflections in the sequence.  this is
because there are two materials that were commonly used for
single-coating, one is purple, the other amber, but sometimes lens
designers use the purple one on some elements and the amber one on
others to achieve good color correction.  sometimes even both are used
on the same surface, like the 2-layer process used by Pentax on their
current lenses designated Takumar, but this is not multicoating.

with a multicoated lens, you will see a sequence of a number of
colors. with a Zuiko, you will see green and blue in addition to
purple and amber.  Olympus changed their multicoating formula a few
times so it won't be the same for all multicoated Zuikos, but you will
always see blue and green reflections as well as purple and maybe
amber, on a multicoated lens, but only purple and/or amber on a
single-coated lens.