Re: [OM] the end game

Subject: Re: [OM] the end game
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 09:57:15 +0100
I find rather amusing finding this thread reappearing with regular
intervals. A Swedish foto-mag wrote that Olympus has ceased production of
it's OM-line, concentrating on P&S's. Thing is, it was written in the year
of 1990!

This article certainly has spread much confusion, I would say that at least
half af Swedens photographers still think OM's haven't been made for the
last 8 years.

Last year, with the introduction of the OM2000 and two new lenses makes a
lineup of 3 cameras. 8 years ago only 1 was made!

The very few used OM-4Ti I've seen here have disappeared from shops in just
a few days, this although prices have been close to brand-new from B&H or
OlympusGuy.

The Canon FD line is still very popular among many professional
photographers here, and this really is a dead line. I have myself two
fantastic publications from the last years, both made exclusively with Canon
FD gear. It's easy to find almost anything exotic FD, there's even a
mail-order company in this mini-country concentrating on used FD equipment.

I guess only lack of spare parts can kill a camera system. Not lack of
evolution from the manufacturer. After all, don't we all use these cameras
and lenses, 'cause we feel they're so good, not because there might come
something better in the future?

Personally I don't care very much if the camerasystem I'm using is available
new, as long as I think I can make the images I want and as long as I can
have it serviced.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind an OM6 with 1/250 flash-sync, oh well,
Tomoko has all the answers :-)

Just my thoughts
Ulf Westerberg