[OM] Bargaining with vendors over the phone... and ratings... for new FA

Subject: [OM] Bargaining with vendors over the phone... and ratings... for new FAQ
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 12:53:51 -0500
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all:
The reason for all these questions is that I'm thinking of starting a
"How to buy used Olympus equipment FAQ", and would like to get input
from as many of you as would like to contribute.  Specific categories I
will cover (and please feel free to let me know any that I have left
out!):

        What to look for in buying X (this will just be a reprint of
        the things to look for in the current Oly FAQs).

        Vendors that are trustworthy

        Vendors to stay away from

        Rating systems and their meaning

        Bargaining

        Buying from individuals

In addition to this, I'd like to make up a "Traveller's Guide to Buying
Used OM Equipment" which will simply be a list of names, addresses, and
phone numbers of local camera stores, organized by state and country.

Soo....
I'm wondering how successful others here have been with bargaining with
vendors over the phone.  I find that when I buy things from local camera
stores, even ones with a "hard nose" reputation, I am usually able to
"talk them down" to a reasonable price.  However, when I deal with mail
order vendors on the phone, they are seldom willing to bargain (Brad of
Used Photo is a notable exception).  Ahh, you say, but your local
dealers probably have prices that are artificially high, so they can
afford to bargain.  Not so.  Almost everything I have bought locally has
come at a much lower price than the mail order items I have purchased
(Winders galor for $50, 2x-A for $60, 35-70/3.6 for about 150, OM-4 for
$400 including winder back when they were $500 body only from most mail
order vendors, etc etc etc).

An interesting case is Charlotte Camera.  I go there in person twice a
year, when I go home to visit my family in Charlotte.  They have always
given me good deals, and I've been pleased.  With that in mind, I
recently bought a 300/4.5 and a 500/8 from them, total cost $918.  They
refused to round the total to $900, which seemed a little tight to me.
(That's a discount of only 2%).  I think if I had been in the store in
person (based on previous experience) they wouldn't have hesitated to
knock a few $$$ off.

Another thing that seems very inconsistent are ratings.  I mentioned the
condition 8 Remote Control from B&H earlier this week.  I would have
rated it a 5 or lower, based on the condition it was in when I got it.
On the other hand, I had always thought KEH had high prices.  However,
they had a 2x-A for $133 in EX condition, so I thought it was worth
giving them a shot.  I was amazed when I got the thing and opened it up.
I would have rated it Mint- or at least EX++.  Finally, I just got an
OM-4Ti w/Databack 4 from Cameta to replace my stolen OM-4.  It was rated
Exc++, and while the databack has some wear spots, the camera body
itself looks like it is new out of the box.

What experience do others have with various vendor rating systems?

Cheers,
--Lee
R. Lee Hawkins                           lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Department of Astronomy                  lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Whitin Observatory      http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/lee.html
Wellesley College                        Ph. 781-283-2708
Wellesley, MA 02181                      FAX 781-283-3667