Re: [OM] Olympus gallery

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus gallery
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 17:36:12 -0700
At 08:46 PM 3/13/98 +0100, Wiliam Wagenaar <edsksg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

>- What format do you want the pictures in Garth?

Any of the standard Web formats for displaying pictures will work, of
course, but some have better colour depth than others.  GIF and JPEG are
both fine (JPEG has *much* higher colour depth, and you can play with the
lossy compression to arrive at acceptable trade-offs between image quality
and file size, assuming you care about that sort of thing).

>- What size, # colours?

As big as you want.  Last time I was in Nederland was two years ago, and at
that time most people there didn't exactly have huge connections upstream,
so you may want to consider the minimum size you can live with, both from a
display perspective and from an upload time perspective.  On my end, I have
a veritable firehose for an Internet connection (both ways), so file size
isn't a real issue here.

>- Do you want us to include thumbnails?

No, it's easier if I use Photoshop myself to create 'em.  That way I can
build something like a "standard thumbnail size and depth" if I need to.

And in the same vein, Dr. Matthew J. Cordery <cordery1@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>(1) Where do we send them? I doubt that you want us to e-mail them to you
since your mailbox might get indigestion....
>(2) What sort of resolution will you accept?
>(3) JPEG or GIF format?
>(4) Perhaps people could also provide information on any clever things
they might have done to create an image.

As to (1), you can ship me stuff via e-mail (as I've written above, my
mailbox is in very little danger of getting indigestion -- I already
receive above 250 messages/day and process most of 'em automatically; for
those of you who get a kick out of this sort of admission, the Oly list is
about the only thing I read all the way through every day...)

As to (2), the real question is "What sort of resolution will *you*
accept?"  Remember, *you're* the exhibitors -- I'm just the shmuck who
hangs the pictures (virtually, so to speak).  Send 'em electronically in as
high a resolution as you can stomach -- that way, I've got more "real
estate" to deal with.

As to (3), see my reply to William, above.

As to (4), thanks for reminding me: it'd always be nice if anyone who sends
anything could include info about the picture as well as info about
yourselves.  I'd also like to point people to your e-mail addresses from
the Oly Gallery, if you don't mind.  (Anyone who doesn't like the idea,
just say so in private e-mail to me, and I'll not show an e-mail link for
you).  Pictures of your smilin' selves would also be way cool, if you're
not shy.

In general: for those of you who don't have access to digitization, feel
free to e-mail me privately if you wish to send physical photos, as I
discussed in an earlier message on this list.  We Have The Technology.  8^>

Garth Wood