Re: [OM] Vivitar35-85 F2.8 Zoom Lens Opinions?

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar35-85 F2.8 Zoom Lens Opinions?
From: "Bryant Bob" <ardvarrk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 01:44:44 -0700
Peter,
        I use that same exact lens on a daily basis on my OM-4. Mine is very
sharp. In my book it is a keeper. It does have a few problems, you have
found one of them.
        The first problem is: There is a ring inside the lens that comes loose
and
causes the zoom to balk and stick. It is easily fixed with little effort
when you know what you are doing.
        The second problem is: The iris assembly is housed in a cylinder that is
adjustable. This adjustment slips and the lens can give wrong meter
readings. This is easily repairable as well.
        You can fill the screw holes with hard jewelers wax. I have not done
this
as the mount switch on my OM-4 is rounded and not prone to "Shear" off.
Look at your camera and note the shape of the switch. It is the little
plastic pin sticking out of the lens mount at about the nine O'clock
position. If in doubt then just fill the screw holes with hard wax. Some
hard sealing waxes will do. You might try to find some at a Stationery
store. It is easy, and works very well. Do not use candle wax as it is way
too soft. DO NOT use glues to fill the holes. Quite frankly, I really do
not see how this pin could shear off unless it was stuck in the up
position.

Regards,

Bryant

BTW: I would point out the shortcomings of the lens and see if you could
get it for less. I got mine in about the same condition for $20.00. But I
am a mean and nasty person. :-)

Regards,

Bryant