Re: [OM] Films to put in OM for travel

Subject: Re: [OM] Films to put in OM for travel
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 08:51:21 -0600
At 11:55 PM 3/13/1998 -0600, Tim wrote:

>I have never been able to get the same rich colors with Sensia (I or II)
>using my OM system. My colors are good, yes. His are stunning. I am still
>learning, he's the pro. However, with Velvia or Provia I can match his
>work. Well, the exposure anyway. But it irritates me that he can get better
>color from the same stock than I can. (Grrr).

Tim,

I hate to say this, in some ways, but I think the difference between your
friend's rich colors and yours is not the film but the lenses. You mentioned
he shoots Nikons. This is my "other" system as well and there is a certain
priority with that line on the kind of contrast I suspect you are discerning.

For my taste, however, there is a very pleasing refinement and subtlety to
Olympus optics, for which I am grateful and pleased, and which comes from a
greater latitude or softer contrast range in the lenses (that I have at
least -- couple of zooms only and a couple of primes). The results are often
more natural and easier to work with when scanning and that sort of thing. I
guess these are subjective preferences. I'm glad I have both. But if you
want to make his results, get a Nikon. Personally, however, in high contrast
situations, I would probably prefer your results to his, all other things
being equal. And if you can equal his results with a different film, doesn't
that just go to show you can do it all but perhaps from within a greater
range of choices?

And thanks for the great discussion of Sensia and Provia.

Regards,

Joel