Re: [OM] OM-4 flickery meter

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 flickery meter
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:12:28 +0100
Hello Olympians,

thanks for the response. I think, my question was misleading.

Bradley Mabb wrote:

> I have the OM-4.I think what is happening is your are getting a
> reading SOMEWHAT between the two "dots",it'll it rest on the one closest
> to what it should be,but the nearby flickering is where it's "leaning" to.

This is one explaination I thought at first too. But I was not able to
"center" the meter bar to just one dot. I have to explain that, the
first time I recognized this under artificial illumination made of
ordinary bulbs with the OM in Auto mode.
I checked it now under daylight conditions and surprise, I could get rid
of the flickering! Sorry, I promise next time, to double check, before I
bother the group again.
But still is my question: Does the bar of my camera meter reacting not
to fast and sensible? At least the bulbs consists of glowing wire and
the efect of changing voltage (50Hz in Europe) couldn´t be big.

PCA Cala wrote:

> I had this problem combined with the next in humid Florida in sunlight with my
>  OM-2S.  It has disappeared back in Nevada.  I can only attribute it to
>  humidity.  High humidity in dense prairies have always played havok with my
>  electronic OM's.

The camera meter is not runing complete havoc, it shows, in the average,
resonable results.

> Might have to do with TV images cycling at 60 Hz?

I guess yes, in Europe we have (mostly?) just 50Hz. This example was not
very good, I just wanted to show how fast, sensible the meter reacts to
changes in ilumination.
I still have the impression, the meter is reacting to fast.
The reason, why I´ve not noticed this earlier, is that I normaly use the
spot metering under artificial illumination, just focusing my attention
on the object, not on the meter bar.

So the question is: Has anybody noticed that, the camera meter reacts
very fast and very sensible, in the way I described?
Speak: Reacts my camera normal or should I ask for an adjustment by
Olympus?

Not very clearly expressed...
Richard