Re: [OM] the end game

Subject: Re: [OM] the end game
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:00:52 GMT
On 18 Mar 98 10:05:43 +0100, "Marco" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Lun, 16 mar 1998 21:41, Frank van Lindert <mailto:lindertv@xxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>>All my estimates are -very- rough.
>>Paper, also paper pictures, will live for a century, maybe two, at
>>least
>>Color and b/w negatives will have roughly the same lifetime, maybe
>>longer.
>>Magnetic media (floppies, hard diks, tapes) don't survive more than
>>5-10 years at maximum. After that (or much better before that) you
>>will have to rewrite them, maybe to new media. And again. And again.
>>Maybe the CD will behave better, but that is still uncertain. In
>>particular the oxidation process of the aluminium layer in the CD is a
>>very uncertain factor here.
>>Anyway, this is another reason why IMHO film will remain for a long
>>time yet.
>>

>You are in tune with Olympus "Power MO" brochure? They say the same things,
>prising their MO for this very reason. They claim their MO are 3 times more
>durable than CDs.
>
>BTW when offering a lens on ebay, would be a trouble for you to tell the
>friends before? :-)))
>
>Marco
>mailto:tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Marco.

No, I don't know of any Olympus MO (is that magneto-optical?)
brochure. Neither am I familiar with the properties of this type of
media. WHY should it be 3 times more durable than CD's?

About eBay: Which lens are you referring to? I can't remember having
put up any lenses for auction there, not Zuikos that is.
I am thinking of putting some redundant Winder 2's up, so if you are
interested, let me know.
Apart from that I think that it is probably better NOT to advertise
ebay auctions on this list. Well, we could make an exception for the
180/2.0 and upwards, of course ;-) But I guess that everyone who likes
the auction platform will visit it now and then, and the dislikers
shouldn't be bothered here.

Frank.