Re: [OM] Vivitar 3X Teleconverter+Rattlesnakes

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 3X Teleconverter+Rattlesnakes
From: The Family <fotolady@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 17:29:37 +0000
At 08:28 PM 3/18/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I am at least as fond of the Vivitar 3x converter as Jim and Barbara!
>I have some butterfly shots made with this adapter and the 1.8/50mm (SC or
>MC who cares?). I enlarged these shots to 16" x 24" an the sharpness is
>incredible!
>Wiliam

Hi Wiliam,

   All those folks who responded with a less positive report wern't that
far off.  Our first results were also far from desireable.  The attached
lens were set to the widest aperatures and shutter tripped with a cable
release.  After looking at the difference in mating lens diameters, the
same shots were taken at f8-22 instead of f1.8-3.5.  In addition, the self
timer was used instead of the cable release to make use of the mirror
lock-up of the OM-PC.  Eureaka!!!  Satisfying color and sharpness.  Also
the tripod (3221+3030 head) was replaced with 3 beanbags...2 on the bottom
and one over the middle of the lens.

   Rattlesnakes.  Using the 135 mm/f3.5, the 3x converter, and all 3
Vivitar (thanks Paul V.) extention tubes, you get a little over 1:1
reproduction at 9 feet (max. focusing distance).  At the closest focusing
point, around 4.9 feet, you're way over 1:1.  This really makes macro shots
of the sunning rattlers head safer than using the 50mm and rings only <g>.
Here too the board-beanbag is used on the 3221 tripod so all that weight is
supported.  To make the 1800 mm shots we use boulders or an ice chest and
the beanbags only.  The tripod is just not stable enough.

Still hoping that Joel will pick it up and either try it or ship it :)  :)

Jim and Barbara