Re: [OM] the end game

Subject: Re: [OM] the end game
From: JNVS44B@xxxxxxxxxxx (MR THOMAS N CURLEE)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 00:16:12, -0500
Winsor, et. al.

Sorry for the inches to millimeters conversion. I must have converted
from the the 24 by 36 frame to an approximately 1" by 1.5" frame
subconsciously and then converted back to millimeters (I knmow
better!).  Thanks for all the comments and and corrections/additions.
 I forgot about the 2 pixel error (line and space).  As I said, it
was a 'back-of-the-envelope' calculation only to make a point.
However,  if we look at the increasingly fine pitch of integrated
circuits (and how far they have come in the last 20 - 30 years) I
wouldn't be overly surprised to see some truly amazing imaging arrays
in the next few years.

While newspapers are going to digital imagery for some purposes I
found the comments of a friend interesting.  He is a staff
photographer for a major Southern California newspaper (The Orange
Country Register).  We were talking about the high quality that
modern 35 mm film/cameras provide these days, with the 35 mm format
completely dominating the news business (compared with 30 years ago
when most photos were shot 120).  What surprised me was his comment
that the quality of modern newspaper printing (the actual printed
page, that is) is so high that 35 mm isn't always good enough for
some very large photos, even when printed on newsprint.  He said that
they will sometimes even shoot 4 X 5 when the photo will be spread
across 2 full pages.

As an aside, he think the Fuji films are better than Kodak.  The
paper uses Fuji because of the quality rather than the price.
Remember, this is for the environment they shoot in, news, but he
still likes the color, etc.

I think we are safe with our film for a few more decades (well,
maybe).

Thanks all, Tom