Re: [OM] New toy - 85 f/2

Subject: Re: [OM] New toy - 85 f/2
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:48:26 +0100
Shawn Wright wrote:

> My wife says I am officially cut off from any more camera
> purchases...
>
> I picked up the 85 f/2 today, paid $200 CDN including Olympus caps
> and rubber hood, and a Pentax "ghostless" curved UV filter.
>
> I was pleased to find that it fits in the standard case when mounted
> on my 4-T, which is where it will live most of the time, I think...
>
> One question: the lens has two specks of black inside the rear
> element, which they will remove for me if I take it back. At first I
> thought they were visible through the viewfinder, but swapping lenses
> proved the spots I saw were on the focussing screen.
> Is it better the leave these, which appear to be flecks of black
> paint, or to have them open the lens and remove them?
> They said that cleaning would be easier by removing the front group,
> rather than the rear element - is this correct?

Hi Shawn,

Congratulations on getting yourself a very fine and useful lens. Match it
with the 35mm f:2 and you have a next to perfect travel kit.

If they are only small specks, I would leave them alone. My own 85mm
also has "something" on the inside of the rear element, which looks
like a small splinter of light wood. I used to worry about flare because
the thing is not dark, but the results seem to be fine. Usually there
must be quite much dust and debris inside the lens to hurt the image
quality, as long as the stuff is dark. Light or shiny things is another
story. They should be removed.

They are probably right about opening the lens from the front. The rear
is difficult due to the floating element mechanism. It looks hard to
disassemble and would need adjustment after reassembly.

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"