Re: [OM] It's all for sale...

Subject: Re: [OM] It's all for sale...
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 06:21:17 -0500

>DT> Wall Street Camera had a used RTSIII that I really loved. Since
>DT> I also bought a 35 1.4 and a 85 1.4 I got a pretty good deal.
>
>Again, with all due respect (and I really like DT, though we never
>met), the RTSIII makes even Miss Piggy look svelte. Indeed, at
>2 lbs 13 oz (approx. 1,250g) -- body only!, the RTSIII is heavier
>than either the Nikon F4s or the Canon EOS-1n with(!) their
>respective power boosters/grips.

Hi Gary. I also have to apologize to the list; this wasn't supposed to be
public.

Having said that... You're right about the tank-like size of the RTS. In
fact, it's also the same size as my Mamiya 7, and even heavier! While I
appreciate the engineering prowess of the OM series in keeping the bodies
so small (and talking about Miss Piggy!), since I am 6'3" and 220 lbs,
small size was not the over-riding factor in my decision to use Olympus.
The RTSIII felt 'right' to me (although so does the OM4T, oddly enough).

I made a decision several years ago, after acquiring and extensively using
an 8008s (which I still own and use for parties, street festivals etc) that
I would prefer to use a non-AF system for a great many things. Olympus was
my choice. But, with recent developments, it is clear that Olympus as a
company wants to be out of the business we know and love.

So, if one feels one needs the backing and support of a company that
continues to design and manufacture manual focus bodies and lenses, that
leaves Contax and Leica. I know Nikon makes the FM2, but they are not
designing or updating MF lenses. Yes, very few pros use these systems.
Contax especially seems to focus on the well-off high-end amateur market.
But, that is what I am, so why not?

>I peeked at the Aria specs. They look almost identical to the
>current 167MT, with slightly upgraded electronics in a considerably
>lighter body -- 460g in Aria vs 700g in 167MT, and the 167MT already
>had a plastic top plate! Can you guess the trend? (I wonder, how
>does one spell "Cosina" in German? Kosina??? :-) )

But if you compare the size of the Aria to the 4T, you will find it very
similar, although I don't have it at hand. And that's with a built-in winder.

After studying the Contax line, I think it's a plus that they make
different cameras of different sizes and capabilities. Something for
everyone, and it looks to me like the RTS and the Aria will be
complimentary in the way that the F5 compliments the N90s or even the FM2.

Don't forget I am not bailing out entirely. I am keeping things that nobody
does better. One 4T body, one OM1 body, 50/2, 501.2, 80/4 macro and 90/2
macro, 8 and 16 fisheyes, 24 shift, and all the related macro equipment.

As long as I am at it, I would like to thank all the members of the list
for the sale of the equipment. I have sold virtually all the lenses and
some of the bodies. I will post a list of what's left on my website this
weekend, and I will start on another list of small items like filters and
cables. I received as many as 5 offers at my price for some items. I
started obtaining/using/collecting Oly gear about 5 years ago. Anything I
bought more than 2 years ago, I got more than I paid.

It's interesting to ponder what this means for the future of the Oly as a
users system. First, it means Oly gear is going up, and will probably
continue to do so. This means if you buy quality gear and hold it you are
probably making a good investment. OTOH, at some point, if prices continue
to appreciate, it gets to the point where one becomes afraid to take the
stuff out in the field.

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com