[OM] Olympus cameras and the Royals!

Subject: [OM] Olympus cameras and the Royals!
From: "David Brown" <keswick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 17:27:53 -0000
Some readers (including those ex-colonials across the pond) may be
interested to know that I spent some time photographing the Queen today.
She spent about three hours visiting my school to "officially" open it.

As a member of staff I was allowed to be the official "Host Camera" and had
to attend an official briefing with a Palace press secretary and the rest
of the press covering the event - local and national newspapers together
with local and national television. It was quite interesting to study the
large range of equipment on show, mostly M*n*lt* and N*k*n, with some
enormous lenses and flashes. I think they thought I was quite quaint with
my Olympus gear, but it did cause some interest - a lot of them would not
realise that I was part of the school of course.

It was quite a difficult assignment as photographs had to be taken both
outdoors (Queen arriving and leaving and inspecting skiers on dry ski
slope) and also indoors ranging from very bright lighting in the sports
hall where the ceremony took place to near darkness and theatre lights in
the hall where she saw a small performance from the school choir, orchestra
and a small part of the next school musical in rehearsal. In some areas
inside we were not allowed to use flash. Timing was quite tight but of
course I had a major advantage on the press in that I knew where I was
going!

My setup was: OM4Ti with MD2 (x2), T45 and T32 flashes, Zuiko 100mm/f2,
55mm/f1.2, 180mm/f2.8, 35mm/f2 and 18mm/f3.5 (this last lens was excellent
for a photograph of the entire sports hall full of "dignitaries" and pupils
watching the opening with virtually no distortion). All performed well (the
equipment that is). I used Fuji Superia 400 and Ilford HP5; I would have
liked Superia 800 but couldn't get hold of any.

We also used a (non Olympus) digital camera to put some shots immediately
on to our school web site and some of my photos will no doubt make it there
next week.

Finally I can't finish without mentioning that at least you now know that
John Gardner isn't the only UK Olympus Zuikaholic to enjoy taking
photographs of birds with bright coats :).

David