Re: [OM] It's all for sale...

Subject: Re: [OM] It's all for sale...
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 17:51:09 -0500

>Don't forget I am not bailing out entirely. I am keeping things
>that nobody does better. One 4T body, one OM1 body, 50/2, 501.2,
>80/4 macro and 90/2 macro, 8 and 16 fisheyes, 24 shift, and all
>the related macro equipment.

I think that the main beef we (ok, ok, I :-)) have with you.
We'd like you to stay in the OM fold, but much more than that
-- we lust after your above delectable Zuiko toys.>>>>

So how come no one has bought my 100/2, my favorite lens of all? :~(

Here's my final tidbit on the subject. To celebrate 100 years
of Carl Zeiss Planar design, Contax has announced a limited
edition Planar T* 55mm F1.2. The lens has 77mm filter, weighs
in a hefty 580 g, and is offerred at a list price of US$7,329.00.>>

And I also saw a _used_ 85 1.2 commerative for $4,000!

Seriously, though, I don't think these kinds of things are a bad idea. The
Germans especially seem to thrive on this sort of thing: Leitz and Rollei
as well are always coming out with gold-plated everythings. Doesn't
everyone lust after the 35-80 2.8 Zuiko? If it adds prestige to the line
and hopefully puts a large profit in the manufacturers' pocket; which
perhaps allows them to sell other things at a loss; like afforable bodies
and 50 1.8s

>>But then, for years now stock markets all over the world have
been breaking records on a daily basis, and everyone seems to
be able to rationalize that... Hey, maybe I'm the one who belongs
in a loony bin, but thus far my conclusion is that if economics
is science, then so is alchemy ;-)>>

Don't complain; your Oly gear is appreciating at least as fast as the stock
market!

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com