Re: [OM] OM-4's and the Grim Ripper

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4's and the Grim Ripper
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 15:46:14 -0800
Gary R. from Las Vegas, NV wrote:

><< << IMHO, it should be feasible to convert an OM-4 into an OM-4T simply
>by swapping the circuit board, as well as the top and bottom plates. >>
>
>Oh boy, Gary S. is back and now it's my turn to catch it . . .

Hey, I'm an equal opportunity offender :-)

>John H. has spoken on this issue.  The upgrade is so expensive that
>he won't do it anymore.  It meets or exceeds the cost of a used OM-4!

I wonder whether the problem is the cost of parts, or the cost of
labor. I could probably replace the bottom plate myself :-).

>The paint on the OM-4Ti (black) sure hasn't had good reviews. Me
>thinks the paint job on the original OM-4 was probably more durable.

Absolutely true. I believe the problem is endemic to titanium.
Any material scientists out there to advise us?

>I think you might have missed my point, Gary.  I'd get an OM-4, but
>I wouldn't pay the premium being commanded for the OM-4T, nor would
>I overpay for a OM-4 since the circuit board issue makes it a
>crap shoot in the reliability department.

Point well taken. However, I'm in the camp that advocates against
developing this ill-advised phobia wrt certain OM models. Several
IMHO perfectly acceptable bodies e.g. OM-PC, OM-2S, and OM-4 were
often held here in ill repute, mostly from Camtech quarters (no
offense, John H., you know that I have much admiration for you).

IMHO, the problem is largely one of perception. Suppose camera A
has reliability of 99 percent, whereas camera B has reliability
of 97 percent. As far as Camtech is concerned, they see three
times more B's coming in for repairs vs A's. Naturally, this must
slant their opinions, but IMHO it hardly makes B a bad camera.

Therefore, a careful shopper who is familiar with OM equipment, knows
how to test it, and understands the risks inherent in the purchase
of used photo gear, is very likely to do fine buying either camera A
or camera B... that is, of course, unless s/he is extremely unlucky,
in which case s/he would be wise to stay as far away from Las Vegas
as is humanly possible ;-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA