Re: [OM] 200mm/5 (Was OM-2S Meter Question)

Subject: Re: [OM] 200mm/5 (Was OM-2S Meter Question)
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 11:40:46 -0500
Paul Austin wrote:
>I had the 200mm f5 Zuiko, the multicoated version. Bought it new at the end
>of 1982 or beginning of 1983 (they say the memory's the second thing to go).
>It was probably one of the last ones off the assembly line. It had already
>been discontinued when I purchased it. It was very compact and sharp. The
>problem I had was the f5.0 max aperture. It was considerably harder to focus
>than it's f4.0 counterpart. But it sure turned a few heads when people asked
>what lens I was using and I replied a 200mm. It's not much bigger than some
>brands of normal lenses. The perceived size and weight in use is about half
>that of the f4.0 version.
I use my 200/5 in my work of a series of reflections, and I have to agree
with Paul regarding the difficulty of focusing, but I have found it much
easier to focus with the 200/5 now that I have a 2-4 screen on my OM-4T.

I purchased mine in the seventies and my Zuiko Interchangeable Lens Group
manual (printed in 79) says, "Amazingly short, 105mm (4.1"), for a 200mm
telephoto-actually it accepts a 49mm filter in common with the F1.8
standard lens- the extremely compact size and lightweight configuration of
this lens makes it ideal for hand-held telephoto shooting.  Equally
important, it features a deluxe optical construction of 6 elements in 5
groups which successfully corrected various aberrations to insure high
resolution all over the picture as well as high performance in close
distance photography."

As I purchased the lens in Japan, the lens spec sheet that came with it is
in Japanese, but the DOF table should be readable without the knowledge of
Japanese, which can be scanned for those interested. The lens comes with a
built-in hood.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
-All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130
-Olympus Equipment Classifieds-