Re: [OM] A tour de spot...

Subject: Re: [OM] A tour de spot...
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:25:54 -0800
Denton Taylor wrote:

>Foxy wrote:
>>Does anyone else sell a fully manual with spot meter?
>
>If you mean totally manual like the OM3, yes, Contax does. It's called
>the S2b, I believe. It's less $$$ than the OM3.

Actually, it's the S2 (S2b is averaging). Both are essentially titanium
clad Nikon FM2n's with an Y/C lens mount.

>>>Do the other mobs have spot metering on their autos?
>
>All the high-end Contax models do, yes; as well as Leica R8.

Actually, all R-series Leicas starting with R3 had spot metering.
The recently discontinued Canon F-1 (New) is another option.

Two older Canons are also worth looking at: T-70, T-90. The latter's
metering is quite similar to the OM-4. In fact, the T-90 is a very
capable camera -- a good prototype for a non-AF OM-6 :-). Alas, it was
discontinued before Canon had a chance to debug it, so shop carefully.

A few older, now defunct SLR's offerred switchable averaging or
spot metering:

- Mamiya/Sekor screw-mount: DTL/DSX/XTL (they introduced it!)
- Vivitar screw-mount: 650/SL, 450/SL (made by Cosina!)
- Miranda Auto Sensorex (2-3 models)
- Topcon (one UV-mount model -- Unirex??)
- Rolleiflex SL 3003

Others are not technically spot-metering, but have an extremely
narrow meter "beam":

- Canon FT, FTb, F-1 (old): have 12% to 88enter-weighting
- Nikon F3: has 20% to 80enter-weighting

Last, but not least -- the Olympus 35SP rangefinder camera,
which sports a fast 42mm F1.7 G.Zuiko lens, a full range of
shutter speeds (B, 1 - 1/500), and a CdS spot meter.

>>The other significant thing is size and price.

Sorry mate, in this day and age non-AF cameras are either spotless, or
priceless. Of course, sometimes they're both spotty and pricey -- and
can be easily identified by an inconspicuous "Ti" moniker next to
their name. :-) :-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA