Re: [OM] 800mm mirror lens in OM mount?

Subject: Re: [OM] 800mm mirror lens in OM mount?
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 20:48:00 -0800
Lee Hawkins wrote:

>I vaguely remember someone discussing an 800/8 mirror lens in OM mount
>here on the list a few years ago. I also seem to recall that it was
>made by Vivitar.  Does such a lens exist?  Or am I just confused?  If it
>exists, does anyone here have one?  What's its optical quality like?

According to "The Vivitar Guide" by John C. Wolf, the other Solid Cat
is an 800mm F11. I'm also aware of a Vivitar Series 1 450mm F4.5 mirror
lens (I'm still kicking myself for passing up on one recently, though
it's clearly not by Perkin-Elmer -- seems much less "solid"). There
may exist an 800/f8 of the latter type (McBroom lists one), but I've
never seen one. All Vivitar S1 mirrors are T-mount.

AFAIK, Olympus made a 800/f8 mirror lens for the Pen FT half-frame SLR.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx