Re: [OM] Shooting the computer screen

Subject: Re: [OM] Shooting the computer screen
From: Omer Nezih Gerek <gerek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:11:15 +0300 (EET)
> >I need to take some slides of figures over my computer
> >screen (16' Sun screen) with a tele (100 f2.8) and a tripod.
> >The figures are just colour lines and symbols over
> >a black background.
> >Has anybody in this lest have some experience with these kind of
> >shots?  I was going to use Sensia (cheapest), take the
> >meter reading of a 18 0ray figure on the screen, and bracket
> >at speeds slower than 30.

Your suggestion is the best one that works. Display an image area that
looks 18 0ray for you, and take the metering from there. I've almost
always observed that this setting gives the best results compared to -/+1
EV adjustments. Obviously 1/30 is the limit, but it is so close to the
refresh rate that some parts may get exposed by 2 scans,   while some are
exposed by only 1. In this case, the intensity ratio is near to 2. To
avoid this annoying look, try something like 1/8, or so. In this way, the
intensity difference in the regions will have a ratio nearer to 1.

There are nice photo-like printers, though. Have you tried them?

Omer Nezih GEREK

Electrical & Electronics Dept.   email: gerek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bilkent University,              phone: 90-312-2664040 x 2480
06533 Bilkent, Ankara,           fax  : 90-312-2664307
TURKEY                           http://www.ee.bilkent.edu.tr/~gerek