Re: [OM] It's all for sale...

Subject: Re: [OM] It's all for sale...
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:20:23 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Denton Taylor wrote:

|>Don't forget I am not bailing out entirely. I am keeping things
|>that nobody does better. One 4T body, one OM1 body, 50/2, 501.2,
|>80/4 macro and 90/2 macro, 8 and 16 fisheyes, 24 shift, and all
|>the related macro equipment.
|

|I think that the main beef we (ok, ok, I :-)) have with you.
|We'd like you to stay in the OM fold, but much more than that
|-- we lust after your above delectable Zuiko toys.>>>>

|So how come no one has bought my 100/2, my favorite lens of all? :~(

Don't worry, the buyers will come! :-)  You seem to have
caught many buyers in a financial dry spell.  In support of
this, recall there was a demo 180/2 in mint condition going
for $1800 recently, and no one snapped it up.  A pricey lens
for sure, but some people (like Yours Truly) would snap it
up in an instant if they were financial ready, especially
for the ridiculously low price that *that* sample of
prestige glass was going for.

Just keep that lens and any others permanently posted on
Tomoko-san's web site or if you have your own keep it well
advertised, and eventually it will be sold.

|Here's my final tidbit on the subject. To celebrate 100 years
|of Carl Zeiss Planar design, Contax has announced a limited
|edition Planar T* 55mm F1.2. The lens has 77mm filter, weighs
|in a hefty 580 g, and is offerred at a list price of US$7,329.00.>>
|
|And I also saw a _used_ 85 1.2 commerative for $4,000!
|
|Seriously, though, I don't think these kinds of things are a bad idea. The
|Germans especially seem to thrive on this sort of thing: Leitz and Rollei
|as well are always coming out with gold-plated everythings. Doesn't
|everyone lust after the 35-80 2.8 Zuiko? If it adds prestige to the line
|and hopefully puts a large profit in the manufacturers' pocket; which
|perhaps allows them to sell other things at a loss; like afforable bodies
|and 50 1.8s

I sold my 35-70/3.6 when the 35-80/2.8 came out.  I have
every intention of snaring one eventually.

These type of lenses are not just for prestige: they are
very useful and even necessary for some types of
photography.  A 35/1.4|24/1.4 is a great reportage lens.  An
85/1.8-1.4-1.2 is super for stage or portraiture.  For
indoor and relatively close-range shooting where movement is
restricted, a 35-80/2.8 is a Godsend.

I often found myself stifled by the lack of pure speed with
the 35-70/3.6.  Until I get a 35-80/2.8, I use a 35/2,
50/1.8, 90/2 and a lot of fast lens changing.  However, no
amount of lens changing speed is going to beat the sheer
convenience of a fast, superbly sharp zoom.

|>>But then, for years now stock markets all over the world have
|been breaking records on a daily basis, and everyone seems to
|be able to rationalize that... Hey, maybe I'm the one who belongs
|in a loony bin, but thus far my conclusion is that if economics
|is science, then so is alchemy ;-)>>
|
|Don't complain; your Oly gear is appreciating at least as fast as the stock
|market!

Don't I know it!  I can't believe what B&H is charging for
new but outdated Olympus-ware, especially when compared to
their Nikon/Canon equivalents.