[OM] OM 2.0/90 mm alternative

Subject: [OM] OM 2.0/90 mm alternative
From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 17:06:42 -0500
An alternative is the new Tamron 1:1 2.8/90mm Macro, which I bought last
year when I had difficulty having a used 2.0/90 Zuiko fixed.  So far, I am
happy with the Tamron. It seems very sharp and well built just doesn't have
that heavy Zuiko feel...
 It came with a pouch and an excellent large lens hood that attaches to an
outside bayonet mount and so does not interfere with the filter thread.
The hood also fits on the bayonet in reverse for storage (just like older
Canon lens hoods used to).  The lens is lighter than the 2.0/90 Zuiko Macro
and you get the 1:1 extension already built in.  Price is about two thirds
of the Zuiko.  And of course you can re-adapt it if you decide to defect to
Contax...  ;-)

For insect work I also recommend a 90 Macro over a 50.  Stalking is not the
only challenge, it's also your body shadow and interference with other
vegetation close to the insect when you approach with a 50mm.  The 90 will
give you the distance to avoid both.  A Novoflex 105mm short mount lens on
bellows or a 180mm Sigma Macro will be even better in this regard.

Jan
=====

=======