Re: [OM] Macro Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro Lens
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:42:21 EST
Here is an interesting posting regarding diffraction, by Paul Young in the
Canon FD archives at:
http://www.kjsl.com/archives/canon-fd/0889.html

"Due to optical difraction, there is a limit to what a lens can ideally
resolve. This is worse at smaller apertures (larger f/stop numbers). This
limit is;

1781 lines per mm / f-number

For example, at f/16, any lens can theoretically do no better than 111 lines
per mm. At f/11 it is 162 lines per mm. This is why my tests rarely go above
f/11, and why I tend to shoot at f/11 or less in my own photography."

He said that about f/11, not I.  I prefer to make aperture settings at
whatever the scene requires.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV