Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 Macro with 1:1 adapter

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 Macro with 1:1 adapter
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 13:39:57 -0800
Richard S. wrote:

>Gary Schloss wrote:
>>
>> IRBWALTERS <mailto://IRBWALTERS@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> >I just bought this 90mm Vivitar Macro lens this weekend
>> >How does it compare to the Zuiko 90mm.
>>
>> Nothing compares to Zuiko -- see Richard's table.
>
>Actualy the Vivitar lens on the table was a 100mm/2,8. Vivitar had sold
>a 90mm/2,5 lens, able to go to 1:1 without adapter, too, it´s the same
>lens than the Elicar Macro 90mm/2,5 lens. The Elicar was tested in the
>same lens test, but I didn´t include it in the table because the lens
>performance was so bad.

Hmm, much confusion here -- mostly due to Vivitar's (and other after-
market lens makers' and resellers') deplorable and often deceptive
practices wrt product naming, sourcing, etc.

AFAIK, the 90mm F2.5 Series 1 (1:2, 1:1 with life size adapter) was
the earliest one -- made by Tokina (later Tokina came out with its
own, slightly modified AT-X version). It's "heavy metal", shiny black
finish.

Then, Vivitar introduced a family of 3 macros: 55mm F2.8 (1:1),
90mm F2.8 (1:1), and 135mm F2.8 (1:2). All three shared very similar
mechanics (all take 62mm filter), and were made by Komaine (sp?).
These are plain Vivitars, not "Series 1". All have brushed metal
finish.

The above Elicar looks like a member of the same family (I've seen
one recently, can't be sure about the optics though). In general,
member lenses of this family are well regarded. I have a personal
experience only with the 135/f2.8, and I definitely recommend it.

In the mid-80's, Vivitar introduced a new 105mm F2.5 Series 1 (1:1)
lens. This one was made by Kino Precision, and has a great reputation.
Later on, Vivitar released the very same lens as a non-Series 1
100mm F2.8, whereas Kino released it as the Kiron 105mm F2.8 macro.
All three are "heavy metal", shiny black finish.

Vivitar's current 100mm F3.5 macro (1:2, 1:1 with front end screw-in
lens) has no relation to any of the above. It's finished in brushed
plastic. Apparently, it's also very sharp and quite affordable --
I've never tried one myself.

There may be other Vivitar macros and/or clones out there -- with
Vivitar, anything's possible. Oh, what a consumer-friendly industry
photogear manufacturing is ... :-)

Good luck,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA