[OM] Working with the pros

Subject: [OM] Working with the pros
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 22:38:55 -0500
I recently had the thrill and excitement of photographing a major motorsport
event (the Darlington NASCAR races) with full media credentials as a
stringer for the local newspaper.  I stuffed my bag with nearly every piece
of equipment I own and worked the infield, garage area, pit lane and all
around the track.  Many thanks to the members of this list who were
instrumental in helping me assemble all the equipment needed to effectively
cover such an assignment.

One of the little things I did was informally survey the equipment used by
media pros over the four days of the event.  While not scientifically
precise, it wasn't too hard to tally the results.  *Everyone* (except for
me) was using either Nikon of Canon and it was just about a 50/50 split.
Not a single Pentax or Minolta was seen, nor a medium format of any
pedigree.

A few shooters noticed and asked about my Oly's, especially the OM-2n with
the 250 back (which was the only one there as best I could tell).  A couple
even commented that Oly's were good cameras but couldn't match the results
of their (fill in the blank here) systems.

The fun part was when the photos went back to the local paper's editor.  Of
the 9 pictures published for the race coverage, three were mine (OM-4T with
Motor Drive 2,  using 21mm, 35-80 zoom and 300mm lenses).  I've never had a
photo published in a newspaper before and it was most gratifying to see my
work in print.  The remaining six shots were divided among the four
full-time staff shooters from the paper using their highly vaunted nikons
and canons.  I guess those tired old Olympus clunkers still have a few good
shots left in 'em after all <g>.

John P