Re: [OM] Super FP Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Super FP Flash
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 08:14:40 -0800

MR THOMAS K GROSS wrote:

> Several people have said, "I don't know who has the patent on Super-
> FP flash."
>
> OK, guys, I give up!  What is Super-FP flash????

Tom;

It's the moniker that Olympus gave the flash system which can 'sync at
any shutter speed'.  The 4Ti and 3Ti cameras can use it, but the only
flash unit available which implements it is the F280, and as folks have
pointed out, the F280 is too weak to take full advantage of Super FP
over a range of shutter-camera distances.

It works just like a normal flash at 1/60th and slower speed, ie, the
system waits until the shutter curtain is fully open, then fires the
flash.  At higher shutter speeds, the curtain is never fully open.
Rather the scene is exposed by moving a 'slit' across the film plane.

This slit is made by starting the leading curtain moving across the film
plane, then starting the trailing curtain after it at the proper moment
for the film to be exposed for the desired time.  So, in order to
flash-expose the full frame, the flash is extended using a series of
high frequency pulses.  Ie, the flash doesn't fire just once, but
hundreds of times as the slit moves across the film.

Hope this was understandable.

george