Re: [OM] OM-1n, flashes and and light seals...

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1n, flashes and and light seals...
From: "Doug Nowlin" <wa5ohb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 11:04:11 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Lipphardt <liphardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, March 25, 1998 12:40 AM
Subject: [OM] OM-1n, flashes and and light seals...

>In order of importance;
>
>I just had a closer look at my pretty little OM-1n and I find some
>disturbing evidence of light seal degradation or downright disappearance.
>Can someone pop the back of their OM-1 and tell me if there ought to be
>foam all the way around the groove the lip of the back fits into?  I'm not
>entirely sure there needs to be, since my Maxxum stuff doesn't have
>anything like that around it's back.  But on the other hand, there's junk
>that looks as though it might have been foam rubber at one time.
>
>If it is in fact supposed to be there, has anyone tackled the job of
>replacing it?

Itis not hard, but it takes time to do right. The local shop uses a dental
pick, and I won't let them touch my cameras. I use a flat toothpick made
into a chisel and round ones made into tiny Q-tips. Goof-Off (?) is a
commonly available xylene based solvent that will cut the residue. What you
should be more concerned about is the light seal on the prism that will soon
be eating the coating off the prism.

>I have been considering buying a flash for this thing.  I have a Metz
>40MZ2, which, if you've seen one, is just WAY too big for this little
>camera.  I need pretty good horsepower since I also use bounce and swivel
>quite a bit.  I've been considering a Sunpak 383, since I had one for about
>5 years and liked it very well.  However, the Metz has spoiled me with it's
>better control - the available aperture settings don't vary with film
>speed.  I notice however that the shoe 4 has dedication contacts and the
>FAQ tells me there is a flash ready/sufficient light in the viewfinder.
>Did Olympus ever make a reasonable shoe mount flash?  Looking at the
>unofficial web site, I'm not too thrilled with what I see available.
>Judging by some of the traffic on the OML, I'm led to believe that's not an
>uncommon sentiment.

Neither the detachable shoes nor the fixed shoes on OM cameras are very
sturdy. The detachable shoes crack and dent the prism. The OM-2S and OM-4
shoes work loose. Praise Minolta for the i series hot shoe! One of the
dedicated contacts is only used when the shoe 4 is on an OM-2N. The T-32 is
a very nice GN32 flash, but it is a shoe killer. Why not stay with the Metz
and get it off the camera where it belongs? Many Metz flashes use a
dedicated module system, and you can get OM modules. I have an SCA off
camera cord that I have no use for as I have no Metz flashes.

Doug