Re: [OM] How Do They Die?

Subject: Re: [OM] How Do They Die?
From: fdayrit@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 07:29:43 +0900

PCA Cala wrote:

> Duncan wrote:
>
> << My OM-4 died on me after some (not too strenuous use) in a steamy Peruvian
> jungle. I assume some condensation got to the guts of it and shorted a circuit
> board or something >>
>
> Glad to hear someone else attributing problems to humidity or condensation.
> Perhaps the planes were air conditioned amd the gear got condensation every
> time you went into the wilds?  I'm starting to see the light here and I'll
> also call it condensation shorting.  Mine was going from air conditioned
> vehicles to humid forests and marshes.
>
> Which reminds me that I've previously mentioned my original OM-2 which was
> declared a lemon by OLY factory service.  It went on the electronics fritz
> everytime it was subjected to high morning humidity at high summer in
> Missouri.
>
> In 1994-5, I worked for 16 months in Florida and avoided air conditioning
> becase I HAD to get used to working in the field every day.  Too big a change
> in temperature and humidity can make one lethargic when subjected to the high
> heat index of the outdoors.  The OM-2S NEVER had a metering problem that whole
> time.  But the meter started spiking on me when I started photographing winter
> scenes in Nevada and humid prairies in Florida AND took the equipment from
> either bone dry house interiors to moist cold, or air conditioned cars and
> housing to morning dew laden prairies.  Hum...
>
> Gary Reese
> Las Vegas, NV

Gary,

I started using Olympus stuff in the Philippines where the humidity is always
around 100% and I never, and I repeat never had any problems with them during
use.
I had both the 1n and 2n. Brought them into the rainforest a couple of times,
and
they never went haywire on me. These two cameras went through all those street
rallies that we had against the Marcos administration without even missing a
beat!! I should say that the 2n needed to have it's electronics replaced when it
was 8years old because there was something wrong with the TTL flash synch. A
$35US
repair in Hong-Kong at the time, this was including the circuit board. Still
have
that body and it is the one I use most for slide work. Really beat but working
well. At one point, the old lubrication on the 1n started to affect the shutter
speed. I had no choice( I was in the provinces at that time where finding a
camera
tech is like finding a chicken with teeth) so I opend it up and lubricated it
myself.. Don't remember what I used. Must have been cooking oil!! But it worked
and I don't think my brother who is using it now has had that repaired yet!!
This
was the camera that a friend of mine dropped in a puddle of water on the asphalt
street during one of those Marcos day rallies. Dented the bottom plate and part
of
the chasis but after cleaning it out it was back to all those rallies with tear
gas and water cannons and the humidity.  Still works. That is unless one of my
nieces or nephews have thoroughly roughed it up. So what can I say? OM is the
only
35 mm that I use. enough said.

Francis