Re: [OM] RE: Multiple T20 Flash Setup

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Multiple T20 Flash Setup
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 08:24:23 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998 wijsmuller@xxxxxx wrote:

|Richard Schätzl wrote:
|
|> Olympus should look
|> at contemporary Metz flashes how to integrate many features for a wide
|> range of cameras.
|
|I don't know, as I recall Minolta introduced high-speed sync some
|time before Metz it's MZ 40-2 (which I own) and yet this flash
|does *not* support the Minolta high-speed sync. So it could be a
|tricky feature, this 'Super FP' mode. What about the MZ 50 and MZ
|40-3? Do they support the high speed sync options of Nikon, Canon and
|Minolta?

I don't know about the Metz situation.  However, one of the
big problems with "high speed sync" flash is that they are
battery hogs.  I initially assumed that the wizards would
mitigate the battery sucking problem enough to produce a
more powerful flash, but it may well be more problematic
than it seems.  If you think of it, the flash has to pulse
repeatedly at a constant color temperature for a relatively
long time (about 1/40 seconds).  I believe I recall reading
somewhere that other manufacturers' high speed sync flashes
drain batteries quickly as well.  (Perhaps users of other
systems which carry these flashes can comment.)

It may well be true that to produce a practical flash with
professional power, a manufacturer may have to employ a
seperate high energy rechargeable battery pack similar to
those employed by Norman, Sunpak (for the J120) or Quantum
(Models T2 and X2).

|BTW I posted a reaction about the difference I thought existed
|between the Olympus way of 'super FP' and the presumed ways of other
|camera manufacturers. But I just read that it operates basically the
|same i.e. with many short flashes. I thought, probably mislead by an
|illustration in an Olympus OM-4Ti brochure that Olympus 'Super FP'
|flash was based on a very long duration flash. I guess somebody more
|knowledgable will point this out. Thanks in advance.

Yes, as I pointed out above it pulses in micro short bursts
over a 1/40 second time span.