Re: [[OM] 38mm & 20mm macros]

Subject: Re: [[OM] 38mm & 20mm macros]
From: Tatu Laitinen <tatul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 14:16:00
Hi,

I used to own the 38mm (2.8) macro. The quality of that lens is good. The
working distance is long even with a 116mm extension. Photographs were very
contrasty and it LOOKED like there was more depth of field than with a extended
"normal" lens.

I had my T-28 flash attached to it. this setup wasn`t too good, but I did get
some good pictures this way. The flash heads came very close to the subject and
I had to use smaller apertures. When I photographed indoors I used to hold both
heads in my hand, this way I managed to get them a little farther off the
subject and it was easier to control the direction of light.

Ring flash could be a better idea, because both of them (t8&t10) have smaller
guide numbers. These flashes might also be much easier to handle in the field.

Olympus has a Lieberkuhn reflector for this lens. I have no experience with it.

I photographed insects with it and they really looked like you were standing in
front of them. 38mm with 65-116 extension is a very good combination in the
field. The magnifications were too high for me, so I sold it.

_
Tatu