Re: [OM] Future of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Future of OM
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 17:41:00 -0800
>What would persuade Olympus to continue to support and perhaps develop the
>OM system. Look at it from their point of view, what would you do?
>They would surely need a profitable (if niche) market, support from
>professionals as well as amateurs, support from enthusiastic dealers, above
>all sufficient demand.
>Can the loyal band of Olympus user create the required demand, does anyone
>have any figures on sales or required sales for Olympus to justify keeping
>the system. If they sold the OM system, who would buy it, what name would
>they use, surely they would have the same problem.

The answer to this seems simple. If the goal is only to sell to current
Olympus fans, the only way to stay profitable is to do what they are doing
and raising prices on old lens designs. I don't think the Oly fans can turn
it around. Oly cannot create new demand if it is not bringing out new
product, making sure it is significantly better than anyone else's, making
sure that it gets reviewed, advertising it, and pricing it competitively.
One lens and one camera every 3 or 4 years will not demonstrate any
commitment. They need to do the OM5 and the OM6 with significant changes
and improvements(such as an autofocus system that will retain the use of
current lenses). They need to figure out how to make things cheaper, but
better. Their flash situation needs to be fixed. Half a dozen superb lenses
need to come out at the same time. They need to reestablish a pro support
network that works. They have to be willing to lose money for the next 5
years until they convince people they are in it for the long haul and
people will not fear buying a start on a system and having it disappear
before they acquire the lenses and accessories they want to take pictures
with.

I just looked at a friend's new Pentax ZX-5. What a nice little camera.
Excellent ergonomics. Built in winder and weighs less than an OM4T. It is a
little too "plastacky" in a few places(such as the film back) for my taste,
but the rubber grippers, the shape, the indentation for your right thumb
are great. The shutter and mirror are incredibly quiet and there is no
discernible jerk when they are operating. You can focus manually with the
ground glass or use the auto-focus. It was less than $400 for the body

It seems to me that if Oly tried they could bring out a superb line of OM
cameras for twice that price that could exude quality and sell to anyone
wanting a great camera. Unfortunately it will never be as profitable as a
manufactured device that is bought with fees from an insurance subsidized
medical industry(You know, the people that charge you $5 for an aspirin and
$50 dollars for a two foot length of plastic tubing.)

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx