Re: [OM] OM4 mechanical shutter 'bug'?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4 mechanical shutter 'bug'?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 17:54:28 -0800
>Clive Warren wrote:
>>
>Fellow Olympians --
>
>My OM2s when used with a motor drive 2 also does not expose film
>when it is set at the Red 60 (mechanical) setting.
>I discovered this one day while photographing hummingbirds.
>(I don't need the camera's electronic exposure control since I'm
>depending on the thyristor control inside the Olympus flash units
>which are aimed at each other in order to get the extremely short flash
>pulse.)
>
>I thought that it was part of the design of Olympus for the
>rapid advance of film without exposure for use with a 250 exposure
>film back.
>

>Hank
>y> This happened to me when I used the red 1/60 on my OM4 after
>batteries
>> dying on me - using studio flash.  I did have new batteries with me,
>> however was being lazy as all light was from the flash heads.  Thought it
>> was just my camera as it behaves perfectly apart from this one glitch....
>>
>> The camera was being used with a Winder at the time.
>>
>> I think we've found a bug - right all of you OM4T owners - whip the
>> batteries out attach a winder and see if you suffer also.....
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>>               Clive
>Hank Hogan --
>
>BTW,  I'm looking for a job as a biological science research
>    technician.  If you know of anyone who might need a technician
>    with my skills (see resume on my home page) please let me know.
>--
>Thomas ?Hank? Hogan
>Biologist, Photographer, Web Designer

This is a question John Hermansen could answer, but it seems that since
these cameras do not automatically function at 1/60 of a second when the
batteries go south and you must switch to the mechanical speed it seems to
me that there is a lot going on here. Since there are few other cameras
that provide mechanical shutter on an electronically controlled camera, it
must not be simple. I would guess that at the very least switching the
electrical controls out of the shutter system would be necessary and
perhaps some movement of linkages to allow the second curtain to be
released by a mechanical system instead of an electro-mechanical system. It
may be that the flash synch system used by Olympus is not of the
traditional contacts operated by the movement of shutter curtains. Nothing
much is traditional in its design at the time.

I think it probably not fair to call it a "bug", but just the way it was
designed. You would not call it a "bug" if it does not operate at all
shutter speeds without batteries.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx