Re: [OM] Olympus from Modern Photo..

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus from Modern Photo..
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 06:59:59 -0700
At 11:03 PM 3/29/98 -0500, R. Lee Hawkins <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

>Ok, this is enough to convince me that I don't have time to correct
>things to constant dollars.  I'll compile the list from Cambridge ads,
>and if someone wants to "constant dollar" it, they can do so, and I will
>post that list in addition to the one I do.

Well, I found some good info.  Daily exchange rates for the Yen/US$ from 1971
to present-day, as well as a CPI/RPI deflation index from the same period of
time, both issued by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.  These should be
accurate enough for most purposes.  However, a caveat: the Fed did *not* choose
a single base year for their deflation index, instead "jamming out" and
choosing the period of 1982-84 as a base of 100.  Thus, 1984 is actually
slightly *higher* than 100.0!

Here's the numbers:

                 Yen/US$
Year    Index    (Avg.)
====    =====    =======
1971    40.5     318.47
1972    41.8     292.63
1973    44.4     259.87
1974    49.3     279.55
1975    53.8     284.28
1976    56.9     285.14
1977    60.6     258.29
1978    65.2     202.29
1979    72.6     209.79
1980    82.4     217.12
1981    90.9     212.17
1982    96.5     239.52
1983    99.6     229.33
1984   103.9     227.45
1985   107.6     228.42
1986   109.6     161.90
1987   113.6     139.62
1988   118.3     123.26
1989   124.0     133.29
1990   130.7     139.44
1991   136.2     129.43
1992   140.3     122.43
1993   144.5     107.25
1994   148.2      98.64
1995   152.4      90.71
1996   156.9     104.63
1997   160.5     116.42
1998   n/a       121.20

Yearly numbers for the Yen/US$ exchange rate are arithmetical averages of the
available dailies for the period from 1971 through 1998.  Missing information
was treated as truly missing, not "zeroed" and therefore not included in the
averaging calculations.  1998 is current through to March 20 (approx.).
CPI/RPI Index for 1998 does not yet exist in a form I could readily find on the
Web (I'll keep trying).

To use the CPI/RPI Index to inflate or deflate a price, locate the year in
which you find a price (the "source" year), and then the index number in the
same year.  Then locate the index number in your "target" year (usually the
year you're living in [i.e., 1998], but any other year works just as well).
Then use the following formula:

Target year price = source year price x (target index/source index)

Thus, ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL, if a new OM-1n cost $400.00 U.S. in 1984,
and it was still "new" in 1997, you could expect to pay:

     400.00 x (160.5/103.9) = $617.90 (approx.)

Figuring out what the exchange rate did to prices requires assumptions about
base wholesale pricing in Japan during the period.  Otherwise, you're just
shooting in the dark.

Happy calculating, folks.

Garth Wood