[OM] New to Olympus

Subject: [OM] New to Olympus
From: sebastien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sebastien Roy)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 14:20:26 -0500 (EST)
Hi everyone,

I am new to photography and decided to buy an OM2000 as my first
SLR camera. I tought the readers of this list might be interested
to know why someone starting from scratch would go for Olympus
rather than Nikon/Canon/Pentax.
The other cameras I considered where Nikon FM10, Pentax ZX-M and
older ones like Nikon EL2 and FG-20 and Pentax K-1000 and ME-Super.
All these cameras are fully manual, <=$200 body only, <=$300 with a lense.

Here are the features, approximately ordered by importance:

 - Spot metering (most important feature, IMHO)
        Only OM2000 has it.
 - Depth of field preview
 - Mirror-lockup
 - Good choice of quality lenses available
 - Fully mechanical (need battery for meter only)
 - Light weight and small size
 - Metal body
        The ZX-M is full plastic. Not great.
 - Multiple exposure

As far as lenses go, the 35-70mm/f3.5-4.8 (sold with the OM2000) seems
to work very well. Its close focusing hability is very nice. I've put
two example pictures in
    http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/sebastien/album/om2000.html

This is the only uncertain factor here. I know I will need a portrait
lense and a wide angle lense sometime in the future.  It is my
impression that Zuiko offers same or better quality/price than
the best other brands. Am I right? Any suggestion of lenses to get
or to avoid? and how about the Tamron Adaptall lenses, are do they
compare?

Thanks,

Sebastien

--
-- Sebastien Roy
-- NEC Research Institute, Vision Stereo